Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Panty-Droppin' Pulled Pork

My roommate's birthday was on Patriot's Day this year, so we hosted an American BBQ themed potluck to celebrate! Of course, the first thing that comes to mind when I think American BBQ is pulled pork. I had never made it before but have it all the time at home, so I figured it was time to tap into my southern roots and try it on for a size. I was quite nervous when making it, not just because I had never made it before, but because I was having a muck-up day in the kitchen. Along with the pork, I was making Paula Deen's broccoli slaw recipe (amazing) which calls for toasting crushed ramen noodles and almond slivers in (you know the drill) a stick of butter. Please note: that ish burns real fast. Thankfully, I had enough ingredients for another batch. For the next screw-up, I was making a vinegar sauce for the pulled pork, and I added half of a tablespoon of cayenne instead of half a teaspoon... Lovely. Had to re-do that one, too. And lastly, I set the good batch of toasted ramen in the fridge with the rest of the broccoli slaw ingredients to cool before dressing and serving. When I went to dress it, all of the ramen was stuck to the bottom of the bowl because I didn't think about how butter hardens back up when it gets cold. AWESOME! So, as you can imagine, I was saying my Hail Mary's for this pork. The toughest part about cooking something like this is that you can't mess with it. You just have to pop it in the oven, tell yourself it's gonna be alright, and hope for the best. Well thank goodness gracious I got what I hoped for-- a panty-dropper.


Ingredients:
- 5 lb pork butt roast
- Seasonings
- S&P

I'm afraid I need to get permission to post the vinegar sauce recipe. Sorry y'all! You're just going to have to Google it, I guess...

Serves 8

Directions: 
Grab your untrimmed, untied, bone-in butt and season it generously with salt and fresh cracked pepper.


Then season with whatever else you want.


Don't be stingy with it.


I used my main bitch's Butt Massage. Thanks, Paula.


Place the seasoned roast fat side up on a pan and put it in a 400F oven for 30 minutes to sear.


While the roast is searing, prepare a little aluminum nap sack for the next phase.


When phase one has been completed, transfer the roast into its new home where it's going to live for the next 7 hours.


Turn the temp down to 250F, wrap'er up tight, put a lid on it if you've got one, and in the oven she goes.


When the 7 hours are up, take that goodness out of the oven, pour off most of the drippings, and remove the bone and any large pieces of fat. Then, take two forks and get to shreddin'. Top with whatever sauce you like most and enjoy. I apologize for not getting enough pictures of the process, but I was too gosh-darn nervous and excited to see how it turned out. Well... TAH-DAHHH! Tender, juicy, delicious pulled pig.




No comments:

Post a Comment