Monday, April 9, 2012

Eclair Cake

I'm going to be honest, I'm not a sweet tooth kinda gal. I go through my phases, but 9 days out of 10 I would prefer a bag of Doritos over donuts or cookies or cake. If I'm going to keep up with this honesty thing, then you should also probably know that I could commit to the fatness and eat a whole bag of Doritos in one sitting if I wanted. I know this because that's what I used to do when I was a little kid. Let that be our little secret. Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is that this dessert is one of my all time favorites, and this means a lot with me being a salt lover and everything. But it's so easy to make. No baking is required, and it's always a hit. One person described it to me before as "delightful," and it is just that... Delightful.


Ingredients:
- 1 box graham crackers
- 2 3oz boxes instant vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 12 oz tub of cool whip
- 1 bottle chocolate turtle shell

Serves 12
Requires refrigerating for several hours or overnight before serving.

Directions:
Mix together your pudding mix, milk and cool whip.


Add a layer of graham crackers to the bottom of a 9x13 pan or dish. As you can see, I get creative and fill in the open spaces with graham cracker crumbles...


Pour half of the pudding mixture on top of the graham crackers, and use a spatula to spread it out into an even layer.


Add another layer of graham crackers...


Spoon out the rest of the pudding mixture and spread evenly.


Add your last layer of graham crackers and get fancy with it as this is the top of the cake! I like to use all of the leftover graham crackers and do lots of crumbles on top.


Shake the turtle shell really well and drizzle the whole bottle on top of the cake or until you've reached your desired amount of chocolate topping. This wasn't my best drizzle job... I don't think I shook the bottle enough, so it came out kind of clumpy. Oh well.


Now, MOST IMPORTANTLY, place the cake in the refrigerator overnight or for the next several hours before serving. If you don't let it rest, the graham crackers will still be very crunchy and won't have had a chance to soften and bind with the pudding mixture to form that cake-like texture that you're looking for.


Serve cold and enjoy. 


It is so light and just sweet enough. As long as you have leftovers, you'll find yourself constantly going back for another bite and another and another until the pan is empty.


No comments:

Post a Comment